Saturday, October 8, 2016

Ready, set, .....

Our departure date is fast approaching (Monday October 10!), and we've been busy getting the boat loaded and getting mentally prepared for the big change coming for both of us.  I've been trying to enjoy the simple things, like using my dishwasher, lounging on the couch, and driving my car - it will be quite a while before those will happen again.  I have also accepted the fact that I'm simply going to have bad hair for the next several months.

My plan was to write a blog about the preparations, but they don't seem very interesting at this point.  Lots of food, lots of drinks, and extra everything.  I have no idea if we have enough, but since all available cabinets on the boat are full, I guess it's time to stop loading stuff.  The truth is, it is unlikely we will ever be completely unable to get to a store (even if it's via Uber), so I am sure we have much more stuff on board than we'll need or use.

One of my biggest worries (besides rogue waves) is being bored to tears during the times we are stuck on board in bad weather - the boat will likely feel even smaller when we're stuck in our 8 x 8 foot enclosed living space for days on end.  Thanks to our very patient and resourceful daughter (you rock, Melanie!), we now have the ability to play movies on the TV from our phones.  Satellite radio will enable us to hear all of the college and NFL football games - plus all the other cool stuff on there (music, comedy, talk radio, etc.).  Our kindles are fully loaded and ready to go - if I make it through even half of the books I loaded, I'll be amazed.  We even bought folding bikes so we can tool around our various ports of call (albeit in somewhat nerdy style).




And of course, I'm sure Mark will find plenty of tinkering, monitoring, maintaining, and repairing to do to the boat, which is his favorite form of entertainment anyway.

I have to admit I've been alternating between feeling excited and feeling extremely apprehensive about the trip.  Mark and I have always gotten along well - we are very compatible and have similar interests; however, we've also both been pretty independent people.  Spending every waking minute together for months on end is something we have never done - it will be interesting to see what affect this has on both of us (here's hoping that it doesn't drive either/both of us crazy!).

This will be my last "land-based" blog, so we'll touch base again as we start our Big Adventure - hopefully I will have some fun and/or interesting stories to share.  Thanks for tagging along!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment