Saturday, October 29, 2016

Cape Lookout and Beaufort, NC



Hello, folks - and greetings from North Carolina (still)!  I’m not sure if I mentioned it in previous posts or if you have intuited it from what I’ve said, but I’m definitely what you’d call a “fair weather sailor”.  I have been steadfast in my insistence that Quality Time remain in the protected waters of the ICW (and my perception of greater safety there).  However, Mark convinced me to take a short journey “off shore” to visit a place called Cape Lookout (an uninhabited National Seashore); I agreed due to the potential for awesome sea-shelling and projected calm seas.  The trip there was uneventful and even pleasant; despite technically being off shore, it was in full view of land the entire way.  And the visit there was idyllic!






The journey back the next day, however, was far from idyllic - it was downright organ-jarring.  Poor Quality Time just isn’t built for large swells, and of course, neither am I; thankfully it only took about 2 hours to get back into sheltered water.  Despite our previous experiences with bad weather on the Chesapeake Bay and thus learning how to stow things securely on board, this time things went flying that have never moved before.  Needless to say, I was not a happy camper for those two hours and have renewed my vow to remain in the ICW.

We spent the next night anchored in Beaufort (pronounced BO-fort, NC - there is a different city pronounced BE-YOU-fort in SC).  Busy but peaceful anchorage on Taylor Creek; on one side is the small town, and on the other side of the river/creek are small rustic islands inhabited by 400 wild horses.  It was a little strange to hear horses neighing about 50 yards away while at anchor!



Today we are making our way south on the ICW, and we just passed Mile Marker 220.  There are a couple areas ahead where there is significant shoaling in the ICW - usually in areas where a river empties into the ICW.  Coast Guard reports on the radio indicate there are spots where depths have been reduced by shoaling to 2 feet (not good when our draft is 3.5 feet).  Mark remains undeterred and is timing our journey past these areas with the tide to decrease our chances of being stuck.  Time will tell if his strategy was adequate - stay tuned!


And I just have to say “Go Tribe!!!!”

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up Cheryl, just want to let you know all us jealous landlubbers from Elixir are following you guys!

    ReplyDelete